Pause the film after 4 seconds showing the picture of the boy and his grandmother.
• What do we call a child who has no parents?
Pause the film after 11 seconds when the house is shown.
• Do we know any other stories set in a house in the woods?
• What type of stories often include orphans and houses in the woods?
Watch and rewatch up to 32 seconds just before he finds the hat.
• What words does the narrator use to describe the forest?
• What sounds does he hear?
Pause the film after 41 seconds when the boy finds the hat.
• Who do you think this hat may have belonged to?
Pause the film after 1 min 12 seconds when the narrator has described the creatures.
• How do you think the boy is feeling?
• What creatures can we see?
• Can we carefully describe some of the creatures?
Pause after 1 min 30 – when the boy is admiring the caged creatures.
• Why has the boy put them in the jars and cages?
• What does he like about the animals?
• Do you think it is right to keep animals locked in cages?
Pause the film after 1 min 49 seconds when only the normal birds came.
• How do you think the boy is feeling now?
• What other words do we know for sad?
• What things can make us sad?